MSc. Astrid Sibylle Holzer, Ph.D.
Job Position: Head of Laboratory - Laboratory of Fish Protistology
Specialist in aquatic parasitology in aquaculture systems and natural marine and freshwater habitats: morphology, identification, diversity, distribution and ecology, phylogeny and evolution, life cycles, host-parasite relationships, pathology, transmission, transcriptomics and proteomics, functional antiparasitic approaches. Specialization in and passion for myxozoan parasites with current projects focussing on the mechanisms and molecules involved in host-parasite interaction responsible for rapid parasite proliferation and propagation in the host.
Languages: German (mother tongue), English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), French (basic).
PhD in Aquatic Veterinary Pathology (University of Stirling, UK), 2005.
MSc in Biological Sciences (University of Vienna, Austria), 1999.
BSc in Biological Sciences (University of Vienna, Austria), 1996.
Since March 2011 - Head of Laboratory of Fish Protistology, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
2010 (6 months) - Abroad fellowship, Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Medical University of Vienna (Austria)
2008–2010 - Juan de la Cierva research fellow, Cavanilles Institute of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology, University of Valencia (Spain)
2007 (6 months) - Guest researcher, Cavanilles Institute of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology, University of Valencia (Spain)
2005–2007 - Marie Curie experienced researcher, Cavanilles Institute of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology, University of Valencia (Spain)
2004–2005 - Research assistant, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling (UK)
2000–2005 - PhD thesis, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling (UK)
1999–2000 - Associate Researcher, Institute of Hydrobiology and Ichthyology (now: Clinic for Avian, Reptiles and Fish), University of Veterinary Medicine of Vienna (Austria)
1997–1999 - MSc thesis, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling (UK)
1996–1999 - Second diploma in Biological Sciences, University of Vienna (Austria)
1992–1996 First diploma (BSc) in Biological Sciences, University of Vienna (Austria)
Research projects and personal grants from national & international sources, commercial funding
- AQUAPARA-OMICS: Aquatic parasitism meets biomics - addressing key biological questions using novel datasets and modern analytical tools. Czech Science Foundation (19-28399X, 2019-2023).
- Inhibitors of cysteine proteases crucial for myxozoan pathogenicity and their interaction with the fish host. Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Czech Republic, program Inter-Excellence, subprogram Inter-Action (LTAUSA17201; 2017-2021)
- ParaFishControl - Advanced tools and research strategies for parasite control in European farmed fish. European Commission RIA - Research and Innovation Action, H2020 SFS-2014-2 Sustainable Food Security (project reference 634429, 2015-2020).
- Testing parasiticidal and immunomodulatory substances to combat myxozoan infections in aquaculture using novel in vitro and in vivo models. Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (TG02010016; 2016-2018).
- Marine Myxozoa and their link to meiofauna: Communities, biodiversity and life cycles. Swedish Research Council (2016-00541; 2016-2019).
- Transmission strategy and parasitic load of C. longicollis hosts in relation to Mediterranean aquaculture. CAS proramme of support of postodoctoral fellowships (MSM200961706; 2017-2019).
- Turn the tide on limited myxozoan phylogeny: using high throughput sequencing to discover new Myxozoa species from the Southwest Atlantic Ocean. Czech Academy of Sciences/Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas (CONICET16-06; 2017-2018).
- Large scale fish and water environment screening to assess the biodiversity of the Myxozoa: A metagenomic approach. Czech Science Foundation (16-20744S; 2016-2018).
- ECIP - European Centre for Ichthyoparasitology. Center of Excellence, Czech Science Foundation (505/12/G112; 2012-2018).
- MODBIOLIN - Use of model organisms to resolve crucial biological problems on the path to innovations. European Commission, FP7-REGPOT-2012-2013-1 (project reference 316304, 2013-2015).
- Novel Approaches for comparative study of myxozoan life cycle stages - Identifying genes as well as cellular components of biological relevance for parasite proliferation. CAS Program for international collaboration (M200961205, 2012-2014).
- Molecular study of emerging myxozoan diseases in new aquaculture candidate species belonging to the family Sparidae. Council of Education of the Valencian Government, Spain (GVPRE/2008/185; 2008-2009).
- Evolution of the family Polymorphidae (Acanthocephala) in aquatic birds and marine mammals: diversity, biogeography and ecomorphology. Ministry for Science and Education, Spain (CGL2007-63221/BOS; 2008-2011).
- Parasite pathogens of the sharpsnout seabream: Risk evaluation of transmission to seabream cultures. Ministry for Science and Education, Spain (AGL2005-01221/ACU; 2003-2008).
- Marine zoology for the public. Ministry for Science and Education, Spain (CCT005-06-00254; 2007-2008).
- PARAQUAM - Parasite pathogens in new species of Mediterranean aquaculture. An experimental approach. (project reference: 3175; Marie Curie Transfer of Knowledge MTKD-CT-2004-003175, 2004-2007).
- Myxozoans and leukocytes of chub (Squalius cephalus L.) and carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) in cell culture. Vienna Anniversary Foundation for Higher Education (H86/99, 1999-2000).
Personal research fellowships:
- Study of the brain parasite Cardiocephaloides longicollis in cultures of sharpsnout seabream (Diplodus puntazzo) and gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) in the Mediterranean. Juan de la Cierva fellowship, Ministry of Science and Education, Spain (JDCI2007-1054-1215; 2008-2010).
- Mechanisms of probiotic action. Council of Education of the Valencia Autonomous Government, Spain; abroad fellowship (Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine of the Medical University of Vienna, Austria), 2010 (6 months; BEST/2010/140).
- Study of the brain parasite Cardiocephaloides longicollis in cultures of seabream and sharpsnout seabream in the Mediterranean. Council of Education of the Valencia Autonomous Government, Spain; research fellowship (6 months; APOSTD/2007/106: 2007).
- Parasite pathogens in new species of Mediterranean aquaculture. An experimental approach. (project reference: 3175; Marie Curie Transfer of Knowledge MTKD-CT-2004-003175, 2004-2007).
- Seasonality, pathology and control of mixed myxozoan infections in farmed salmonids. External Facilities of the Institute of Aquaculture, Stirling, UK (2004-2005).
- Characterisation, life cycle and pathology of myxozoans in cod (Gadus morhua L.) from Machrihanish. External Facilities of the Institute of Aquaculture, Stirling, UK (2 months; 2007).
- Molecular studies on Sphaerospora truttae and other freshwater myxozoans. Austrian Academy of Sciences (PhD fellowship, 2000-2003).
Personal mobility and training grants/awards:
- Exxon (USA): Grant for participation in the summer course on “Coral Reef Ecology” at the Bermuda Biological Station of Research (1999).
- Federal Government of Vorarlberg (Austria): Study abroad grant (2000).
- Fisheries Society of the British Isles (UK): 5 conference grants (2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008).
- British Society for Parasitology (UK): 2 conference grants (both 2002).
- Austrian Research Promotion Agency (Vienna, Austria): 3 conference grants (1999, 2002 and 2010).
- Faculty Development Fund (University of Stirling, UK): 3 conference grants (2002, 2003, 2004).
- Best student presentation award, ICOPA symposium on myxozoan fish parasites, Vancouver, Canada (2002)
Research contracts/other commercial funding:
- Functional diets against amoebae and myxozoans. Skretting ARC, 2019-2021.
- Yeast as effective immune modulator against myxozoan parasite proliferation in vivo. Lallemand Inc., 2018.
- In vitro trials contributing to the development of in-feed treatments against AGD. Skretting Aquaculture Research Centre R & D, 2016-2018.
- Testing in-feed ingredients with potential amoebicidal effect to Paramoeba spp. Skretting ARC, 2014-2015.
- In vitro trials contributing to the development of in-feed treatments against AGD. Skretting ARC, 2016-2018.
- Immunostimulant and parasiticidal in-feed treatments against myxozoans. Lallemand Animal Nutrition (feed ingredients) and Skretting ARC (feed ingredients and feed production).
ResearcherID reference: E-2531-2011
50 published (15 as first and 20 as last author)
Full list in chronological order:
- Alama-Bermejo G, Meyer E, Atkinson S, Holzer AS, Bartholomew J (under review) RNA-seq data reveal genetic variation in virulence genes between genotypes of the parasitic cnidarian Ceratonova shasta in salmonids.
- Korytář T, Wiegertjes G, Zusková E, Tomanová A, Lisnerová M, Patra S, Sieranski V, Šíma R, Born-Torrijos A, Wentzel A, Blasco-Monleon S, Yanes-Roca C, Policar T, Holzer AS (minor corrections) The kinetics of cellular and humoral immune responses of common carp to presporogonic development of the myxozoan Sphaerospora molnari.
- Cantatore DMP, Irigoitia MM, Holzer AS, Bartošová-Sojková P, Pecková H, Fiala I, Timi JT (2018) Limited geographic host distribution causes phylogenetic lineages separation of myxozoans in Chondrichthyes: An example from skates in the Argentine Sea. Parasite 25:47.
- Patra S, Bartošová-Sojková P, Pecková H, Fiala I, Eszterbauer E, Holzer AS (2018) Biodiversity and host-parasite cophylogeny of Sphaerospora sensu stricto (Cnidaria: Myxozoa). Parasites & Vectors 11:347.
- Holzer AS, Bartošová-Sojková P, Born-Torrijos A, Lövy A, Hartigan A, Fiala I (2018) The joint evolution of the Myxozoa and their alternate hosts: A cnidarian recipe for success and vast biodiversity. Molecular Ecology 27: 1651-1666.
- Yanes-Roca C, Mráz J, Born-Torrijos A, Holzer AS, Imentai A, Policar T (2018): Introduction of rotifers (Brachionus plicatilis) during pike-perch first feeding. Aquaculture 497: 260-268.
- Bartošová-Sojková P, Lövy A, Reed C, Lisnerová M, Tomková T, Holzer AS, Fiala I (2018) Life in a rock pool: radiation and population genetics of myxozoan parasites in hosts inhabiting restricted spaces. PLoS ONE 13: e0194042.
- Born-Torrijos A, Holzer AS, Raga JA, van Beest GS, Yoneva A (2017) Description of embryonic development and ultrastructure in miracidia of Cardiocephaloides longicollis (Digenea, Strigeidae) in relation to active host finding strategy in a marine environment. Journal of Morphology 278:1137–1148.
- Patra S, Hartigan A, Morris DJ, Kodádková A, Holzer AS (2017) Description and experimental transmission of Tetracapsuloides vermiformis n. sp. (Cnidaria: Myxozoa) and guidelines for describing malacosporean species including reinstatement of Buddenbrockia bryozoides n. comb. (syn. Tetracapsula bryozoides). Parasitology 144: 497-511.
- Wünnemann H, Holzer AS, Pecková H, Bartošová-Sojková P, Eskens U, Lierz M (2016) Repatriation of an old fish hosts as an opportunity for myxozoan parasite diversity: The example of the allis shad, Alosa alosa (Clupeidae), in the Rhine. Parasites & Vectors 9:505.
- Hartigan A, Estensoro I, Vancová M, BílýT, Patra S, Eszterbauer E & Holzer AS (2016) New cell motility model observed in parasitic cnidarian Sphaerospora molnari. Scientific Reports 6:39093.
- Born-Torrijos A, Poulin R, Pérez-del Olmo A, Culurgioni J, Raga JA & Holzer AS (2016) An optimized multi-host parasite life cycle: Fisheries discards enhance trophic parasite transmission to scavenging birds. International Journal for Parasitology 46: 745-753.
- Hartigan A, Wilkinson M, Gower DJ, Streicher JW, Holzer AS & Okamura B (2016) Myxozoan infections of caecilians demonstrate broad host specificity and indicate a link with human activity. International Journal for Parasitology 46: 375-381.
- Cantatore DMP, Irigoitia MM, Holzer AS, Timi JT (2016) Myxozoans as biological tags for stock identification of the Argentine hake, Merluccius hubbsi (Gadiformes: Merlucciidae). Parasitology 143: 732-747.
- Alama-Bermejo G, Jirku M, Kodádková A, Pecková H, Fiala I & Holzer AS (2016) Species complexes and phylogenetic lineages of Hoferellus (Myxozoa, Cnidaria): A problematic case for taxonomy. Parasites & Vectors 9:13.
- Born-Torrijos A., Raga JA & Holzer AS (2016) Trematode maturation patterns in a migratory snail host: What happens during upshore residency in a Mediterranean lagoon? Parasitology Research 115: 575-585.
- Forte-Gil D, Holzer AS, Pecková H, Bartošová-Sojková P, Peñalver J, Dolores EM & Muñoz P (2016) Molecular and morphological identification of Cardicola (Trematoda: Aporocotylidae) eggs in hatchery-reared and migratory Atlantic bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus L.). Aquaculture 450: 58-66.
- Kodádková A, Bartošová-Sojková P, Holzer AS & Fiala I (2015) Bipteria vetusta n. sp. – old parasite in an old host: tracing the origin of myxosporean parasitism in vertebrates. International Journal for Parasitology 45:269-76.
- Bartošová-Sojková P, Hrabcová M, Pecková H, Patra S, Kodádková A, Jurajda P, Tyml T, Holzer AS (2014) Hidden diversity and evolutionary trends in malacosporean parasites (Cnidaria: Myxozoa) identified using molecular phylogenetics. International Journal for Parasitology 44:565–577.
- Holzer AS, Hartigan A, Patra S, Pecková H, Eszterbauer E (2014) Molecular fingerprinting of the myxozoan community in common carp suffering Swim Bladder Inflammation (SBI) identifies multiple etiological agents. Parasites & Vectors 7:398.
- Born-Torrijos A, Holzer AS, Raga JA & Kostadinova A (2014) Same host, same lagoon, different transmission pathways: effects of exogenous factors on larval emergence in two marine digenean parasites. Parasitology Research 113:545–554.
- Born-Torrijos A, Poulin R, Raga JA & Holzer AS (2014) Estimating trematode prevalence in snail hosts using a single-step duplex PCR: how badly does cercarial shedding underestimate infection rates? Parasites & Vectors 7:243.
- Alama-Bermejo G, Šima R, Raga JA & Holzer AS (2013) Understanding myxozoan infection dynamics in the sea: Seasonality and transmission of Ceratomyxa puntazzi International Journal for Parasitology 43: 771-780.
- Bartošová P, Fiala I, Cinková M, Jirků M, Caffara M, Fioravanti ML, Atkinson SD, Bartholomew JL, Holzer AS (2013) Sphaerospora sensu stricto: Taxonomy, diversity and evolution of a unique lineage of myxosporeans (Myxozoa). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 68: 93-105.
- Holzer AS, Peckova H, Patra S, Brennan NP, Yanes-Roca C, Main KL (2013) Severe glomerula disease in juvenile grey snapper Lutjanus griseus L. in the Gulf of Mexico caused by the myxozoan Sphaerospora motemarini n. sp. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife 2: 124-130.
- Eszterbauer E, Sipos D, Forró B, Bartošová P & Holzer AS (2013) Molecular characterization of Sphaerospora molnari (Myxozoa), the agent of gill sphaerosporosis in common carp (Cyprinus carpio carpio) Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 104: 59-67.
- Holzer AS, Bartošová P, Pecková H, Tyml T, Atkinson S, Bartholomew J, Sipos D, Eszterbauer E, & Dyková I (2013) ‘Who's who' in renal sphaerosporids (Bivalvulida: Myxozoa) from common carp, Prussian carp and goldfish - molecular identification of cryptic species, blood stages and new members of Sphaerospora sensu stricto. Parasitology 140: 46-60.
- Alama-Bermejo G, Bron JE, Raga JA, Holzer AS (2012) 3D morphology, ultrastructure and development of Ceratomyxa puntazzi stages: first insights into the mechanisms of motility and budding in the Myxozoa. PLoS ONE 7: e32679.
- Eszterbauer E, Sipos D, Forro B & Holzer AS (2012) Molecular characterization of Sphaerospora molnari (Myxozoa), the agent of gill sphaerosporosis in common carp (Cyprinus carpio carpio). Submitted.
- Born-Torrijos A, Holzer AS, Raga JA & Kostadinova A (2012) Same host, same lagoon, different transmission pathways: Exogenous factors controlling larval emergence in a marine snail-parasite system. Submitted.
- Born-Torrijos A, Kostadinova A, Raga JA, Holzer AS (2012) Molecular and morphological identification of larval opecoelids (Digenea: Opecoelidae) parasitising prosobranch snails in a Western Mediterranean lagoon. Parasitology International 61: 450-60.
- Repullés-Albelda A, Holzer AS, Raga JA & Montero FE (2012) Oncomiracidial development, survival and swimming behaviour of the monogenean Sparicotyle chrysophrii (Van Beneden and Hesse, 1863). Aquaculture 338: 47-55.
- Alama-Bermejo G, Raga JA & Holzer AS (2011) Host-parasite relationship of Ceratomyxa puntazzi n. sp. (Myxozoa: Myxosporea) and sharpsnout seabream Diplodus puntazzo (Walbaum, 1792) from the Mediterranean with first data on ceratomyxid host specificity in sparids. Veterinary Parasitology 182:181-92.
- Picón-Camacho SM, Ruiz de Ybáñez MR, Holzer AS, Arizcun M & Muñoz P (2011) In vitro treatments against the theront stage of the ciliate protozoan Cryptocaryon irritans Brown, 1951, Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 94:167-172.
- Alama-Bermejo G, Montero FE, Raga JA & Holzer AS (2011) Skoulekia meningialis n. gen., n. sp. (Digenea: Aporocotylidae Odhner, 1912) a parasite surrounding the brain of the Mediterranean common two-banded seabream Diplodus vulgaris (Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, 1817) (Teleostei: Sparidae): Description, molecular phylogeny, habitat and pathology. Parasitology International 60: 34-44.
- Holzer AS, Steward S, Tildesley A, Wootten R & Sommerville C (2010) Infection dynamics of two renal myxozoans in hatchery reared fry and juvenile Atlantic cod Gadus morhua L. Parasitology 137:1501-13.
- Holzer AS, Sommerville C & Wootten R (2010) Zschokkella hildae Auerbach, 1910: Phylogenetic position, morphology, and location in cultured Atlantic cod. Parasitology International 59, 133–140.
- Alama-Bermejo G, Cuadrado M, Raga JA & Holzer AS (2009) Morphological and molecular re-description of the myxozoan Unicapsula pflugfelderi Schubert et al., 1975 from two teleost hosts in the Mediterranean. A review of the genus Unicapsula Davis, 1924. Journal of Fish Diseases, 32: 335-350.
- Picon-Camacho SM, Holzer AS, Freeman MA, Morris DJ & Shinn AP (2009) Description of Myxobolus albi n. sp. (Myxozoa) from the gills of the common goby Pomatoschistus microps Krøyer (Teleostei: Gobiidae) in Scottish waters. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 56 (5): 421-427.
- Holzer AS, Montero FE, Repullés-Albelda A, Nolan MJ, Sitja-Bobadilla A, Alvarez-Pellitero P, Zarza C & Raga JA (2008) Cardicola aurata sp. n. (Digenea: Sanguinicolidae) from Mediterranean Sparus aurata L. (Teleostei: Sparidae) and its unexpected phylogenetic relationship with Paradeontacylix McIntosh, 1934. Parasitology International, 75 (4), 472-482.
- Repullés-Albelda A, Montero FE, Holzer AS, Ogawa K, Hutson KS, Raga JA (2008) Speciation of Paradeontacylix spp. (Sanguinicolidae) in Seriola dumerili with the description of two new species from the Mediterranean. Parasitology International, 57 (3): 405-414.
- Holzer AS, Wootten R & Sommerville C (2007): The secondary structure of the unusually long 18S ribosomal RNA of the myxozoan Sphaerospora truttae and structural evolutionary trends in the Myxozoa. International Journal for Parasitology, 37 (11): 1173-1296.
- Yurakhno VM, Ovcharenko MO, Holzer AS, Sarabeev VL & Balbuena JA (2007) Kudoa unicapsula n. sp. (Myxosporea: Kudoidae) a parasite of the Mediterranean mullets Liza ramada and L. aurata (Teleostei: Mugilidae). Parasitology Research, 101 (6): 1671-1680.
- Holzer AS, Blasco-Costa I, Sarabeev VL, Ovcharenko & Balbuena JA (2006): Kudoa trifolia sp. n. – Molecular phylogeny suggests a new spore morphology and unusual tissue location for a well-known genus. Journal of Fish Diseases 29, 743-755.
- Holzer AS, Sommerville C & Wootten R (2006): Molecular studies on the seasonal occurrence and development of five myxozoans in farmed Salmo truttae L. Parasitology 132 (2), 193-205.
- Holzer AS, Sommerville C & Wootten R (2006): Molecular identity, phylogeny and life cycle of Chloromyxum schurovi Shul’man & Ieshko, 2003. Parasitology Research 99, 90-96.
- Holzer AS, Sommerville C & Wootten R (2004) Molecular relationships and phylogeny in a community of myxosporeans and actinosporeans based on their 18S rDNA sequences. International Journal for Parasitology 34: 1099-1111.
- Holzer AS, Sommerville C & Wootten R (2003) Tracing the route of Sphaerospora truttae from the entry locus to the target organ of the host Salmo salar L. using an optimised and specific in situ hybridisation technique. Journal of Fish Diseases 26: 647-655.
- Holzer AS & Schachner O (2002) Myxobolus cycloides on the swimbladder of chub Leuciscus cephalus: a controlled, host-specific localization. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 49: 179-183.
- Schachner O & Holzer AS (2001) Gram staining and lectin binding properties of Myxosporea and Sporozoea. Biotechnic & Histochemistry 76 (1): 15-22 (Journal cover picture of this volume).
- Holzer AS & Schachner O (2001) Myxosporidia and macrophage centers in chub (Leuciscus cephalus) – quantitative interactions focus on Myxobolus cyprini. Parasitology 122, 55-62.
- Holzer AS, Hartigan A (2016) Myxozoan parasites in common carp – Importance for aquaculture, ongoing research and future perspectives. International Aquafeed: March/April 2016, p. 42-45.
- Holzer AS (2004) Molecular studies on Sphaerospora truttae and other freshwater myxozoans. PhD thesis, University of Stirling (UK), 245 pages.
- Holzer AS (1999) Myxosporeans of chub (Leuciscus cephalus L.) from three different waters in Lower Austria – Microscopic studies on parasites and host tissues. MSc thesis, University of Vienna (Austria), 88 pages.
- Schachner O & Holzer AS (1999) Myxozoa of carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) and chub (Leuciscus cephalus L.) - A record of lower Austria. Krankheiten der aquatischen Organismen, Institut für Binnenfischerei, Gross Glienicke (FRG), p. 46-56.
- Dyková I, Tyml T, Holzer AS (2018) Methods to study the principal groups of fish parasites: Fish-infecting eukaryotic microparasites. Guide to the Parasites of African Freshwater Fishes: Diversity, Ecology and Research Methods. ABC Taxa (Eds. Scholz T. et al.), CEBioS, Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, pp. 69-85.
- Feist SW, Morris DJ, Alama-Bermejo G, Holzer AS (2015) Cellular processes in myxozoans. In: Myxozoan Evolution, Ecology and Development. B. Okamura et al. (Eds.): pp.139-154.
Holzer AS, Fiala I & Born-Torrijos A (2017) Establishment of an in vivo challenge system to test effects of immunostimulants and potentially parasiticidal substances on myxozoan infections in carp.
Editorial services and advisory boards:
- Section Editor of Parasitology Research (ongoing) and of Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences (untill Dec. 2018)
- Invited referee for senior national and international projects of Research & Development, e.g. European Commission Marie Curie ToK Actions, Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, Czech Science Foundation, Argentinian National Agency for Promotion of Science and Technology, USA - Israel Binational Agricultural Research & Development Fund, National Science Fund (USA), Natural Environment Research Council (UK), Ministry of Education, University and Research (Italy).
- Invited referee for 14 SCI journals, e.g. International Journal for Parasitology, Parasitology, Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, PloS ONE, Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, Aquaculture, Food Security, etc.
- Member of scientific board of Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences (2014-2016)
University courses (lectures and practicals):
- MSc Aquaculture (University of Valencia, Spain): 2009/2010, topics: fish parasitology, aspects of fish welfare.
- MSc Biodiversity: Conservation and Evolution (University of Valencia, Spain): 2009/2010, topics: evolution and phylogeny of vertebrates.
- BSc Biology (University of Valencia, Spain): 2008/2009, topic: human and veterinary parasitology.
- Tutoring in parasitology practicals and individual lectures in BSc and MSc programs (Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, UK), 2003-2005.
Student supervision and mentoring:
- Proteases and their inhibitors as mediators of host-parasite interplay in a cnidarian parasite-fish host system (Baveesh Pudhuvai, in progress, University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic)
- Malacosporea and Sphaerospora senso strictu: Myxozoan clades with unique biology and evolution (Sneha Patra, 2017, University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic).
- Trematode infection dynamics and transmission strategies – specific examples from the Mediterranean (Ana Born Torrijos, 2015, University of Valencia, Spain).
- Myxosporean phylogeny and evolution of myxospore morphotypes (Alena Kodadkova, 2014, University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic).
- Study of emerging parasitic diseases in cultured sparids in the Mediterranean (Gema Alama-Bermejo, 2011, University of Valencia, Spain).
- Impact of in-feed treatments on common carp immune system in response to infection with Sphaerospora molnari (Vyara Ganeva, 2018, University of Glasgow, UK)
- Localisation and quantification of the myxozoan Sphaerospora molnari in common carp (Martina Jedlickova, 2017, University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic).
- Morphologigal and convergence in distantly related myxozoans: Spores as ecotypes (Anna Sophia Feix, 2017, University of Vienna, Austria).
- Biology, life cycle and phylogeny of malacosporeans in fish and bryozoans (Martina Hrabcová, 2015, University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic)
- Molecular identification of myxosporean and actinosporean life cycle stages in fish and invertebrate hosts (Hayley Corless, 2012, University of Stirling, UK).
- Transmission strategies of two cercariae parasitizing the snail Gibbula adansonii in the intertidal habitat (Ana Born-Torrijos, 2010, University of Valencia, Spain).
- Morphological and molecular comparison and re-description of the myxozoan parasite Unicapsula pflugfelderi Schubert et al., 1975 form two teleost hosts in the Mediterranean (Gema Alama-Bermejo, 2007, University of Valencia, Spain).
Industry and public outreach and dissemination activities (selected examples):
- Fish parasitology. Open days at the Biology Centre of the Czech Republic of Sciences (2017).
- Antiparasitic and immunostimulant treatments against myxozoan fish parasites in aquaculture: new in vivo and in vitro models. Industry event, Commercialization board of the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (2016 and 2017).
- Summer School of Fish Parasitology 2016: Parasites of Fish in Africa. ECIP-European Centre for Ichthyoparasitology, Brno, Czech Republic (2016).
- Lecturing on different aspects of aquaculture in various public units (Hospital La Fe, Valencia; Centre for Adult Education, Xirivella; Prison of Picassent; various Refugee centers, Valencia) in the course of the project Marine zoology for the public, 2007-2008.
- Advanced fish pathology training courses for fish farmers (Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling), 2004 and 2005.
Public/commercial media coverage (recent examples):
New Protec Gill: Delivering wide-ranging gill support for salmonids (functional diet developed against amoebic gill disease in salmon): Nexus issue 21, page 8. https://www.skretting.com/siteassets/au-temp-files/nexus-and-reports-and-brochures/nexus_issue_21_web.pdf
Parasite of the day: Cardiocephaloides longicollis (November 2016) http://dailyparasite.blogspot.com/2016/11/cardiocephaloides-longicollis.html
Parasite of the day: Cystodiscus axonis (May 2016) http://dailyparasite.blogspot.com/2016/05/