MSc. Astrid Sibylle Holzer, Ph.D.
Job Position: Research Scientist - Laboratory of Fish Protistology
PhD in Aquatic Veterinary Pathology (University of Stirling, UK), 2005.
MSc in Biological Sciences (University of Vienna, Austria), 1999.
BSc in Biological Sciences (University of Vienna, Austria), 1996.
Since March 2011 - Head of Laboratory of Fish Protistology, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences (Czech Republic)
2010 (6 months) - Research fellow, Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Medical University of Vienna (Austria)
2008–2010 - Juan de la Cierva research fellow, Cavanilles Institute of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology, University of Valencia (Spain)
2005–2007 - Marie Curie experienced researcher, Cavanilles Institute of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology, University of Valencia (Spain)
2004–2005 - Research assistant, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling (UK)
2000–2005 - PhD researcher, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling (UK)
1999–2000 - Associate Researcher, Institute of Hydrobiology and Ichthyology (now: Clinic for Avian, Reptiles and Fish), University of Veterinary Medicine of Vienna (Austria)
- Complex characterisation of myxozoan mitochondria: Genome, proteome and utrastructural approaches. Czech Science Foundation (21-29370S, 2021-2023).
- Myxozoan cystatins and fish host cathepsins: Revealing potential crosstalk during infection. Czech Science Foundation (21-16565S, 2021-2023).
- AQUAGal: An α-GAL based in-feed treatment for aquaculture. Technology Agency of the Czech Republic, Gama II program (2020-2022).
- Unravelling the role of the antibody responses in the interaction of myxozoan parasites with teleost hosts. Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Czech Republic, program Inter-Excellence/Inter-Action (LTAUSA19108; 2019-2022).
- AQUAPARA-OMICS: Aquatic parasitism meets biomics - addressing key biological questions using novel datasets and modern analytical tools. Czech Science Foundation (19-28399X, 2019-2023).
- Inhibitors of cysteine proteases crucial for myxozoan pathogenicity and their interaction with the fish host. Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Czech Republic, program Inter-Excellence/Inter-Action (LTAUSA17201; 2017-2021)
- ParaFishControl - Advanced tools and research strategies for parasite control in European farmed fish. European Commission RIA - Research and Innovation Action, H2020 SFS-2014-2 Sustainable Food Security (project reference 634429, 2015-2020).
- Testing parasiticidal and immunomodulatory substances to combat myxozoan infections in aquaculture using novel in vitro and in vivo models. Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (TG02010016; 2016-2018).
- Large scale fish and water environment screening to assess the biodiversity of the Myxozoa: A metagenomic approach. Czech Science Foundation (16-20744S; 2016-2018).
- ECIP - European Centre for Ichthyoparasitology. Center of Excellence, Czech Science Foundation (505/12/G112; 2012-2018).
- MODBIOLIN - Use of model organisms to resolve crucial biological problems on the path to innovations. European Commission, FP7-REGPOT-2012-2013-1 (project reference 316304, 2013-2015).
- Novel Approaches for comparative study of myxozoan life cycle stages - Identifying genes as well as cellular components of biological relevance for parasite proliferation. Czech Academy of Science Program for International Collaboration (M200961205; 2012-2014).
- Molecular study of emerging myxozoan diseases in new aquaculture candidate species belonging to the family Sparidae. Council of Education of the Valencian Autonomous Government, Spain (GVPRE/2008/185, 2008-2009).
- Evolution of the family Polymorphidae (Acanthocephala) in aquatic birds and marine mammals: diversity, biogeography and ecomorphology. Ministry for Science and Education, Spain (CGL2007-63221/BOS; 2008-2011).
- Parasite pathogens of the sharpsnout seabream: Risk evaluation of transmission to seabream cultures. Ministry for Science and Education, Spain (AGL2005-01221/ACU; 2003-2008).
- Marine zoology for the public. Ministry for Science and Education, Spain (CCT005-06-00254; 2007-2008).
- PARAQUAM - Parasite pathogens in new species of Mediterranean aquaculture. An experimental approach. European Commission (project reference: 3175; 2004-2007).
- Myxozoans and leukocytes of chub (Squalius cephalus L.) and carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) in cell culture. Vienna Anniversary Foundation for Higher Education (H86/99, 1999-2000).
Personal research grants:
- Study of the brain parasite Cardiocephaloides longicollis in cultures of sharpsnout seabream (Diplodus puntazzo) and gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) in the Mediterranean (JDCI2007-1054-1215; 2008-2010); Juan de la Cierva researcher, Ministry for Science and Education, Spain.
- Study of mechanisms of probiotic action (BEST/2010/140; 2010 – 6 months); Abroad fellowship at Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine of the Medical University of Vienna, Austria, funded by Council of Education of the Valencian Autonomous Government (Spain).
- Study of the brain parasite Cardiocephaloides longicollis in cultures of seabream and sharpsnout seabream in the Mediterranean (APOSTD/2007/106; 2007 terminated after 6 months due to other funding obtained); Postdoctoral research fellowship, Council of Education of the Valencian Autonomous Government (Spain).
- Parasite pathogens in new species of Mediterranean aquaculture European Commission, Marie Curie Transfer of Knowledge postdoctoral fellowship (MTKD-CT-2004-003175, within FP6; 2005-2007).
- Seasonality, pathology and control of mixed myxozoan infections in farmed salmonids. Research fellowship by the External Facilities of the Institute of Aquaculture of the University of Stirling (UK; 2004-2005).
- Characterisation, life cycle and pathology of myxozoans in cod (Gadus morhua L.) from Machrihanish. Research fellowship by the External Facilities of the Institute of Aquaculture of the University of Stirling (UK; 2007).
- Molecular studies on Sphaerospora truttae and other freshwater myxozoans. DOC stipend, Austrian Academy of Sciences (Austria; 2000-2003).
ResearcherID reference: E-2531-2011
Peer-reviewed papers - 62
Book chapters - 4
Citations - 1092, H-index -19
Applied research outputs: Patent - 1, Functional/Utility model -1
Teaching activity: supervisor of 5 PhD and 7 MSc theses (complete
Lecturing at previous appointments:
- MSc Aquaculture (University of Valencia, Spain): 2009/2010, topics: fish parasitology, aspects of fish welfare.
- MSc Biodiversity: Conservation and Evolution (University of Valencia, Spain): 2009/2010, topics: evolution and phylogeny of vertebrates.
- BSc Biology (University of Valencia, Spain): 2008/2009, topic: human and veterinary parasitology.
Editorial services and advisory boards:
- Section Editor of Parasitology Research (ongoing), previously also of Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences (2014-2017). Guest Associate Editor for Comparastive Immunology @ Frontiers of Immunology (Topic Editor: Learning from Parasites – New Lessons on the Evolution of Adaptive Immunity in Teleosts)
- Member of scientific board of Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences