RNDr. Roman Kuchta, Ph.D.
Job Position: Research Scientist - Laboratory of Helminthology
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2000 – graduated (BSc.) at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of South Bohemia, České Budějovice; BSc. thesis A comparative study of two sympatric species of the genus Eubothrium Nybelin, 1922 (Cestoda: Pseudophyllidea) – parasites of salmonid fish(supervisor T. Scholz)
- 2002 – graduated (MSc.) at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of South Bohemia, České Budějovice; MSc. Thesis Biology of freshwater species of the genus Eubothrium (Cestoda: Pseudophyllidea), parasites of fish in Europe.(supervisor T. Scholz)
- 2003 – graduated (RNDr.) at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of South Bohemia, České Budějovice; RNDr. thesis Scholz T., Kuchta R., Salgado-Maldonado G. 2002: Cestodes of the family Dilepididae (Cestoda: Cyclophyllidea) from fish-eating birds in Mexico: a survey of species. Systematic Parasitology 52: 171-182.
- 2007 – graduated (PhD.) at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of South Bohemia, České Budějovice; PhD. thesis: Revision of the paraphyletic “Pseudophyllidea“ (Eucestoda) with description of two new orders Bothriocpehalidea and Diphyllobothriidea. (supervisor T. Scholz)
Research Activities and Stays Abroad:
Australia (2010); France (2007); Japan (2007); Indonesia (2006, 2008); Switzerland(several stays; 2003–2012); Norway (2005, 2010, 2012); Peru (2004–2009); Russia (2004, 2007); Slovakia (several stays; 2005–2015); Svalbard (2008); Sweden (2010, 2012); Ukraine (2012–2015); United Kingdom (2000–2005, 2011, 2014); USA (2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013); Vietnam and Cambodia (2010); Brazil (2014); Danmark (2014); China (2015).
- 2000-2004– Large-Scale-Facility Program (European Union-funded) – five stays at the Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling
- 2005-2014– Synthesys programme (European Union-funded Integrated Activities grant) – several short stays at European Museums (Natural History Museum, London, UK; Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle, Paris, France and Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm)
- 2005– The Norwegian Government Scholarship pool (University of Bergen and in University of Oslo)
- 2009– Fubright Fellowship for (post)graduated study and research at University of Connecticut, USA (No. 2008-21-03)
Otto Wichterle Award (2013) – given by the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic to stimulate and encourage selected, exceptionally outstanding, promising young scientists.
Teachingat Faculty of Sciences, University of South Bohemia (PřF JU): “Practical Course of Invertebrate Zoology” (from 2000) and “Field Course of Marine Invertebrate Zoology” (from 2002). At University of Ostrava (PřF OU): “Introduction to the Parasitology (from 2012)”
University of South Bohemia, Faculty of Sciences: “Practical Course of Invertebrate Zoology” (from 2000) and “Field Course of Marine Invertebrate Zoology” (from 2002).
University of Ostrava, Faculty of Sciences: “Introduction to the Parasitology (from 2012)
2008–2014: Postdoctoral research associate of NSF project (PEET & PBI; Nos. 0818696 and 0818823 – “A Survey of the Tapeworms (Cestoda: Platyhelminthes) from the Vertebrate Bowels of the Earth”) and coordinator of 6 orders in Global Cestode Database (see http://tapeworms.uconn.edu/).
Publications: 70 scientific papers (1999-2015).
Helminth parasites of fish
- Bathycestus brayi Kuchta et Scholz 2004 n. gen. & n. sp. (Bathycestus2004.pdf)
- Australicola pectinatus Kuchta et Scholz 2006 n. gen. & n. sp. (Australicola2006.pdf)
- Milanella familiaris Kuchta et Scholz, 2008 n. gen. & n. sp. (Milanella2008.pdf)
- Bothriocephalidea Kuchta et al., 2008 n. order. (NewOrders2008.pdf)
- Diphyllobothriidea Kuchta et al., 2008 n. order.
- Andycestus abyssmus (Thomas, 1953) Kuchta et al., accepted n. gen.
- Kimocestus ceratias (Tkachev, 1979) Kuchta et al., accepted n. gen.
- Mesoechinophallus hyperogliphe (Tkachev, 1979) Kuchta et al., accepted n. gen.
- Plicocestus janickii (Markowski, 1971) Kuchta et al., accepted n. gen.