Mgr. Václav Hönig, Ph.D.
Job Position: Research Scientist - Laboratory of Arbovirology
Eco-epidemiology of mainly vector-borne zoonotic infections (tick-borne encephalitis virus, hantaviruses, Lyme diseases spirochetes...), ecology of arthropod vectors of infectious diseases, pathogen-vector-host interactions on cell, organismal and population levels.
2015: University of South Bohemia, Faculty of Science, and Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Institute of Parasitology, Ph.D. (Parasitology)
2007: Masaryk University, Brno, Faculty of Biological Science, M.Sc. (General Biology – Microbiology)
2005: University of South Bohemia, Faculty of Biological Sciences, B.Sc. (Biology & Biomedical Laboratory Techniques)
Other education, courses, trainings, qualifications
- certificate of professional competence to design experiments and experimental projects under the Section 15d (3) of Act No 246/1992 Coll., on the Protection of Animals against Cruelty – experimental animal handling
- PREFEKT – Systemic complex education of R&D scientists in management and administration
2016 - present Postdoctoral Scientist, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences,České Budějovice, Czech Republic & Veterinary Research Institute, Brno, Czech Republic
2011-2016 Head of R & D department, project manager, GEN-TREND, s. r. o., Czech Republic
2008-2012 Research Assistant, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
2009-2011 Research Assistant, University of South Bohemia, Faculty Science
2009 Laboratory of Eco-Epidemiology of Parasites, Institute of Biology, University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland
2009 Institute of Applied Statistic, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria; AKTION scholarship
2009, 2010 several shorter visits, Institute of Comparative Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich
- Medical Virology Course, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia (since 2018)
- Teaching assistant in practical courses: Biochemistry, Medical virology and workshops POSTICK Spring school 2011
- Consultant or supervisor of 4 bachelor (2 active), 6 master (1 active) thesis
Reviewer for scientific journals
Ticks and tick-borne Diseases Journal, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Folia Parasitologica, Epidemiology and Infection, Viruses, Eurosurveillance, Antibiotics
ecology, eco-epidemiology and molecular epidemiology of zoonotic vector-borne and rodent-borne diseases caused by viral and bacterial agents; ecology of ticks; detection and identification of pathogens using molecular biology methods; pathogen-vector-host interactions
Specific skills and methods
molecular biology-based detection and typisation methods (PCR, qPCR, RT-PCR, SSCP, RLB, sequencing), Luminex - MagPix technology work with laboratory and wild rodents, birds, work with infectious agents – BSL2, BSL3, basic method in statistics, experience with GIS and spatial modeling, bioinformatics and web design
Participation in recent relevant research projects
Ticks and tick borne infectious diseases in the conditions of South Bohemia and Bavaria; Ziel 3; European Development Fund of the European Union; University of South Bohemia, Faculty of Science
AKTION 53p19; Spatial mapping of ticks and tick-borne infectious diseases of the region of South Bohemia and Upper Austria; Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sports of the Czech Republic; University of South Bohemia, Faculty of Science
Innovation of a diagnostic product – enhancement of the method of detection of periodontal pathogens; The Enterprises and Innovations Operational Programme – Innovations; Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic; GEN-TREND s. r. o.
Czech-Austrian Center for Supracellular Medical Research; INTERREG – Austria – Czech Republic; European research and development fund; Biology Centre AS CR, Institute of Parasitology
Role of urban wildlife in circulation of vector-borne zoonotic pathogens with emphasis on Anaplasma phagocytophilum; Czech Science Foundation; Biology Centre AS CR, Institute of Parasitology
Neurovascular unit cells interactions leading to the blood-brain barrier breakdown during tickborne encephalitis; Czech Science Foundation; Biology Centre AS CR, Institute of Parasitology
Molecular mechanisms of tick-borne encephalitis pathogenesis; Czech Science Foundation; Biology Centre AS CR, Institute of Parasitology
PI or Co-PI:
Development, extension and support of collections of biological material and support of their use in applied research and technology, ROZE – Strategy AV21, Biology Centre AS CR, Institute of Parasitology
Selected Publications in journals with impact factor
Total of 14 publications with IF, h-index 6, 189 citations (in Scopus).
- Zubrikova D, Wittmann M, Hönig V, Svec P, Vichova B, Essbauer S, Dobler G, Grubhoffer L, Pfister K. Prevalence of tick-borne encephalitis virus and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes ricinus ticks in Lower Bavaria and Upper Palatinate, Germany. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2020 Jan 15:101375.
- Hönig V, Palus M, Kaspar T, Zemanova M, Majerova K, Hofmannova L, Papezik P,Sikutova S, Rettich F, Hubalek Z, Rudolf I, Votypka J, Modry D, Ruzek D. Multiple lineages of Usutu virus (Flaviviridae, Flavivirus) in blackbirds (Turdus merula) and mosquitoes (Culex pipiens, Cx. modestus) in the Czech Republic (2016-2019). Microorganisms. 2019 Nov 16;7(11). pii: E568.
- Hönig V, Svec P, Marek L, Mrkvicka T, Zubrikova D, Wittmann (Vögerl) M, Masar O, Szturcova D, Ruzek D, Pfister K, Grubhoffer L. Model of risk of exposure to Lyme borreliosis and tick-borne encephalitis virus infected ticks in the border area of the Czech Republic (South Bohemia) and Germany (Lower Bavaria and Upper Palatinate). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019 Apr 2; 16(7): pii: E1173.
- Hönig V, Carolan HE, Vavruskova Z, Massire C, Mosel MR, Crowder CD, Rounds MA, Ecker DJ, Ruzek D, Grubhoffer L, Luft BJ, Eshoo MW. Broad-range survey of vector-borne pathogens and tick host identification of Ixodes ricinus from Southern Czech Republic. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017 Nov 1; 93(11).
- Strnad M, Hönig V, Ruzek D, Grubhoffer L, Rego ROM. Europe-wide meta-analysis of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato prevalence in questing Ixodes ricinus ticks. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2017 Jul 17; 83(15): pii: e00609-17.
- Hönig V, Svec P, Halas P, Vavruskova Z, Tykalova H, Kilian P, Vetiskova V, Dornakova V, Sterbova J, Simonova Z, Erhart J, Sterba J, Golovchenko M, Rudenko N, Grubhoffer L. Ticks and tick-borne pathogens in South Bohemia (Czech Republic) - Spatial variability in Ixodes ricinus abundance, Borrelia burgdorferi and tick-borne encephalitis virus prevalence. Ticks Tick-Borne Dis. 2015 Jul; 6: 559-567.
- Crowder CD, Carolan HE, Rounds MA, Hönig V, Mothes B, Haag H, Nolte O, Luft BJ, Grubhoffer L, Ecker DJ, Schutzer SE, Eshoo MW. Prevalence of Borrelia miyamotoi in Ixodes ticks in Europe and the United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014 Oct; 20: 1678-1682.