RNDr. Martin Palus, Ph.D.
Job Position: Postdoc - Laboratory of Arbovirology
In flavivirus encephalitis, the outcome and clinical manifestation is associated with the damage of the brain. Three possible mechanisms of brain tissue destruction have been postulated. Firstly, the virus itself causes direct neuronal damage; secondly, the neuronal death is caused by virus-induced inflammatory response (immunopathology); and finally, a combination of both plays a role.
The topic of my PhD thesis is immunopatology and immunopathogenesis of TBE. For this study we use recombinant congenic strains of mice. In vitro models of the blood-brain barrier are used as well with the purpose to simulate a breakdown during the infection.
Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia
- 2012-now: Ph.D.(Molecular and Cellular Biology and Genetics); PhD thesis: Molecular aspects of immunopathogenesis of tick-borne diseases
- 2009-2012: MSc. (Clinical Biology); Master thesis: The role of genetic background of the host on the pathogenesis of tick-borne encephalitis
- 2007-2009: BSc. (Biology-Biomedical Laboratory Techniques); Bachelor thesis: Study of the pathogenesis of tick-borne encephalitis in hosts with different genetic and immunological background
- 2006-2009: BSc. (Biology); Bachelor thesis: Study of the pathogenesis of tick-borne encephalitis in hosts with different genetic and immunological background
- 2011-now: Assistant Biology Centre, Academy of the Sciences of the Czech Republic, Institute of Parasitology, Dept. of Parasite Immunology (part-time job)
- 2011-2012: Assistant, The National Institute for Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Protection (part-time job)
- 2009: Assistant Biology Centre, Academy of the Sciences of the Czech Republic, Institute of Parasitology, Dept. of Parasite Immunology (part-time job)
- 2011 (Erasmus Programme) The Univetsity of Edinburgh; The Roslin Institute and Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
- Hönig V., Švec P., Masař O., Kilian P., Dorňáková V., Dupejová J., Palus M., Vavrušková Z., Grubhoffer L. (2011): Ticks and tick-borne disease research in South Bohemia with the use of GIS. XI International Jena Symposium on Tick-Borne Diseases 2011, Weimar, Germany, p. 96, Poster P28.
- Hönig V., Švec P., Masař O., Kilian P., Dorňáková V., Dupejová J., Palus M., Vavrušková Z, Grubhoffer L. (2010): Ticks and tick-borne diseases in conditions of South Bohemia (Czech Republic), 12th ICLB, Ljubljana, Slovenia, p. 64-65, Poster P49.
- Sterba J., Dupejova J., Vancova M., Palus M., Bell-Sakyi L., Grubhoffer L (2011): Ornithodoros moubata cell culture producing the tick lectin, Dorin M. Ticks and Tick-borne Pathogens Conference 7 (TTP7), Zaragoza.