MSc. Ryan O. M. Rego, Ph.D.
Job Position: Research Scientist - Laboratory of Molecular Ecology of Vectors and Pathogens
+420 387775497, +420 387775467
Room: 008, 327
Research Scientist within the Laboratory of Molecular Ecology of Vectors and Pathogens, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
Research centered on adapting genetic techniques to understand the evasion strategies used by various species within Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, the causative agent of Lyme disease, and identification of new, common antigenic markers that could be used for detection purposes. Also interested in understanding the transmission dynamics of the old world relapsing fever borrelia , Borrelia duttonii using the tick-animal model.
Was involved in the FP7 proposal HEALTH – ANTIDotE consortium (http://www.antidote-fp7.org) for the identification and evaluation of tick vaccine candidates. P.I. of two national Czech grants and co P.I. of one bilateral grant
May 2007 – April 2012 – Visiting fellow, Laboratory of Zoonotic Pathogens, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, NIAID, NIH, Hamilton, Montana
Apr 2006 – April 2007 – Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Molecular Biology of Vectors and Pathogens, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre, ASCR, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Univ. of South Bohemia, Czech Rep. Ph.D. Genetics & Mol. Biol. 2000–2005
- Identified and sequenced, using a bioinformatics approach, phylogenetically conserved innate immune proteins from hard and soft ticks including defensins, integrins and lectins.
- Localized and sequenced the first hemolymph lectin, possessing a fibrinogen domain, from a tick and involved within the tick innate immune system.
- Comparative analyses using phylogenetic methods were done to understand the evolution of such proteins.
- Supervisor – Prof. Vaclav Hypsa, Specialist Advisor – Prof. Libor Grubhoffer
Univ. of the West of England, U.K. M.S. Biotechnology 1994–1995
- Studied mixed trypanosome infections in different species of tsetse flies. Statistically identified the possibility of competition among trypanosomes within the midgut and at the time of maturation within the salivary glands.
- Supervisors – Dr. Sue Welburn & Dr. Ian Maudlin (Present address: Univ. of Edinburgh)
St.Joseph’s College of Arts&Sc.(B.U.), India B.S. Microbiology 1990–1993
Invited lectures at international conferences
- XXV International Congress of Entomology (ICE 2016, Orlando, Florida, USA) September 25–30, 2016,
- 2019 Entomological Society of America Meeting (St. Louis, Missouri, USA).
Requested lectures and seminars abroad
- International Symposium on Tick-Borne Pathogens and Disease ITPD 2017 (Vienna, Austria) 24 to 26 September 2017
- Université de Neuchâtel, Institut de Biologie, Switzerland – 15th Dec 2016
- University Hospital Frankfurt, Institute of Medical Microbiology and Infection Control, Germany – 8th Nov. 2016
- Veterinary Sciences, University of Arizona, Tuscon, Arizona , USA – 7th March 2016
Supported Grant Projects in the Czech Republic
- P. I. - GACR (Grant Agency of the Czech Republic): Delineating the role of Borrelia afzelii genes required for dissemination within an infected tick during feeding (2017–2019). Total amount awarded
- P.I. -TACR (Technology Agency of the Czech Republic): Identification of novel antigens/diagnostic markers for the development of diagnostic tests for early diagnosis of Lyme Disease in Europe (2017-2018)
- Co-P.I. Ministry of Education mobility grant between Czehc Republic and Austria. (2019-2010)
- Connected with the Grant from TACR –GAMA to identify serological markers that would help detect the early onset of Lyme disease.
2019 – three B.Sc. students have obtained student grants from the University of South Bohemia with Dr. Rego as the supervisor.
2017– one B.Sc. student obtained student grant from the University of South Bohemia with Dr. Rego as the supervisor
2018 – two M.Sc. students obtained and successfully defended student grants obtained from the University of South Bohemia with Dr. Rego as the supervisor
Defended theses: two M.S. projects and ten B.Sc. projects, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia
Currently: One Postdoc, One Ph.D. student and 5 B.Sc. students, Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia.
Guest Editor for Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology : Research Topic- Biological Drivers of Vector-Pathogen Interactions (2019)
The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene, Gene Therapy, FEMS Microbiology Letters, Journal of Bacteriology, Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases, PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, Parasites & Vectors, Zoonotic Diseases abd Public Health, Frontiers in Microbiology, Frontiers in Celluar and Infection Microbiology, Pathogens
- American Society of Microbiology
- European Society of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases (ESCMID)
Publications (Last 5 years):
Hodžić A., Mateos-Hernández L., Leschnik M., Alberdi P., Rego R. O. M., Contreras M., Villar M., de la Fuente J., Cabezas-Cruz A., Duscher G. G. 2019 Tick Bites Induce Anti-α-Gal Antibodies in Dogs Vaccines 7, 114
Rego ROM, Trentelman JJA, Anguita J, Nijhof AM, Sprong H, Klempa B, Hajdusek O, Tomás-Cortázar J, Azagi T, Strnad M, Knorr S, Sima R, Jalovecka M, Fumačová Havlíková S, Ličková M, Sláviková M, Kopacek P, Grubhoffer L, Hovius JW. 2019 Counterattacking the tick bite: towards a rational design of anti-tick vaccines targeting pathogen transmission. Parasit Vectors. 2019 May 14;12(1):229.
Rodríguez-Ruano S.M., Škochová V., Rego R. O. M., Schmidt J.O., Roachell W., Hypša V., Nováková E. 2018 Microbiomes of North American Triatominae: The Grounds for Chagas Disease Epidemiology Frontiers in Microbiology 9 : 1167.
Strnad M., Oh Y., Vancová M., Hinterdorfer P., Grubhoffer L., Rego R. O. M. 2018 Interaction forces between the extracellular matrix and variants of borrelial decorin binding protein A probed by atomic force microscopy. FEBS Open Bio 8 : 203.
Věchtová P., Štěrbová J., Štěrba J., Vancová M., Rego R. O. M., Selinger M., Strnad M., Golovchenko M., Rudenko N., Grubhoffer L. 2018 A bite so sweet: the glycobiology interface of tick-host-pathogen interactions Parasites & Vectors 11 : 594.
Belli A, Sarr A, Rais O, Rego R.O.M., Voordouw MJ. 2017 Ticks infected via co-feeding transmission can transmit Lyme borreliosis to vertebrate hosts. Scientific Reports 7(1):5006.
Cabezas-Cruz A, Estrada-Peña A, Rego ROM, De la Fuente J. 2017 Tick-Pathogen Ensembles: Do Molecular Interactions Lead Ecological Innovation? Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 7:74
de la Fuente J, Antunes S, Bonnet S, Cabezas-Cruz A, Domingos AG, Estrada-Peña A, Johnson N, Kocan KM, Mansfield KL, Nijhof AM, Papa A, Rudenko N, Villar M, Alberdi P, Torina A, Ayllón N, Vancova M, Golovchenko M, Grubhoffer L, Caracappa S, Fooks AR, Gortazar C, Rego R.O.M. 2017 Tick-Pathogen Interactions and Vector Competence: Identification of Molecular Drivers for Tick-Borne Diseases. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 7:114.
Strnad M, Hönig V, Růžek D, Grubhoffer L, Rego R.O.M. 2017 Europe-Wide Meta-Analysis of Borrelia burgdorferi Sensu Lato Prevalence in Questing Ixodes ricinus Ticks. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 83(15)
Vancová M, Rudenko N, Vaněček J, Golovchenko M, Strnad M, Rego R.O.M., Tichá L, Grubhoffer L, Nebesářová J. 2017 Pleomorphism and Viability of the Lyme Disease Pathogen Borrelia burgdorferi Exposed to Physiological Stress Conditions: A Correlative Cryo-Fluorescence and Cryo-Scanning Electron Microscopy Study. Frontiers in Microbiology 8:596
Strnad M., Elsterová J., Schrenková J., Vancova M., Rego R.O.M., Grubhoffer L., and Nebesářová J. 2015 Correlative cryo-fluorescence and cryo-scanning electron microscopy as a straightforward tool to study host-pathogen interactions. Scientific Reports - 2015 Dec 10;5:1802
Tonk, M., Cabezas-Cruz, A., Valdes, J.J., Rego, R.O.M. et al. Ixodes ricinus defensins attack distantly-related pathogens Dev Comp Immunol. 2015 53(2):358–65
Tonk, M., Cabezas-Cruz, A., Valdes, J.J., Rego, R.O.M. et al., Defensins from the tick Ixodes scapularis are effective against phtopathogenic fungi and the human bacterial pathogen Listeria grayi Parasit Vectors. 2014 Dec 3;7(1):554
Chrudimska, T., Cerovsky, V., Slaninova, J., Rego, R.O.M. and Grubhoffer, L. Defensin from the ornate sheep tick Dermacentor marginatus and its effect on Lyme borreliosis spirochetes. Dev Comp Immunol. 2014 46(2):165-70
Rego, R.O.M., Bestor, A., Stefka, J and Rosa, P.A. Population Bottlenecks During the Infectious Cycle of the Lyme Disease Spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi. PLoS One. 2014 Jun 30;9(6):e101009
Sprong, H., Tentelman, J., Seemann, I., Grubhoffer, L., Rego, R.O.M. et al., ANTIDotE: Anti-tick Vaccines to Prevent Tick-borne Diseases in Europe. Parasites and Vectors 2014 Feb 21;7:77
- Tonk, M., Cabezas-Cruz, A., Valdes, J.J., Rego, R.O.M. et al., Identification and partial characterisation of new members of the Ixodes ricinus defensin family. 2014 Gene 540(2):146–5